17 December 2014

Sisters in Greek Life

via Google Images
I'm terribly behind in posting and I apologize with a gazillion chocolate-chip web cookies. I'm also aware that gazillion is fictitious. I underestimated how stressful senior year in college could be and am currently working my way out of a quarter-life crisis (blog gold). There are so many blog drafts written and in my head but I just haven't been in the mindset to post. Until now.


About a week ago, a post from one of my friends caught my attention from my Facebook timeline:
"What is this ‪#‎SororitySisters‬ mess VH1 doing? It already look disrespectful to the Greek community. Smh"
I was curious and my assumption was that they would include women from multiple organizations. However, it was this post from the same person who caught my attention the first time that prompted me to watch the promotional Season 1 highlights video:
"Just waiting for all the Greeks to sound off on this Sorority Sisters....and Lord there is a SGRho from SSU on this show. Smh Already looking a mess."
Both the post and video inspired this post on behalf of all my Greek sisters. I'm not the type of person to support negative attention with views, so I am not posting links to the videos, but it was required in this instance.

While I'm not going to supply you with a history of Greek Life, that is what Google is for, I will supply you with the knowledge that there are multiple conferences that a sorority may be founded under. Two well-known umbrella organizations are the National Panhellenic Council (NPC) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). Despite their differences in establishment, both councils encourage sorority members to build sisterhood, strive for academic excellence, and serve their community, not only during their college days but also after graduation. It is because of these ideals that I admired the sisters of Greek Life and wanted to be among them as a sister. Those who know me personally or follow my social media know that I committed to Kappa Delta this year and I'm extremely excited about it.

Pop culture and the reality television mold formed from The Real Housewives franchise intrigue me. There are more than five reality television shows on the silver screen that follow similar formatting and VH1 has decided that the we could use one more. VH1's synopsis of the show is:
"Sorority Sisters follows the lives of "sorors" from four different Atlanta sororities. Unlike most white sororities, African-American sorors pledge for life and are expected to continue with community work long after graduation.  With this fierce loyalty comes intense rivalry among the sisters of the different organizations. From long-awaited reunions and high teas, to managing the men in their lives, it's homecoming all across the ATL! Our ladies have a lot at stake, from maintaining their image in the community to holding down the bonds and legacies of their sororities."
It took everything within me to stay calm. Within the span of seven minutes, I read the synopsis twice, I was embarrassed and snubbed.

Let me give you a quick debriefing: one, I am an African-American woman; two, I committed to an NPC organization instead of a historically African American organization under NPHC and am delighted that I found my family; and three, I am the first in my family to do so. (More blog gold!) Like many other African-American women, I bristle with the thought of the embarrassment guaranteed to come with another reality television show that portrays us in a negative light. The majority Sorority Sisters's cast is comprised of Black women, with the exception of one, from NPHC organizations. VH1 does not include NPC organizations, or 'white sororities,' because the loyalty we express is seen as less than that of the loyalty expressed by sisters of NPHC organizations. I am not boycotting for the NPC to be represented on the show but protesting the idea that one sisterhood is worth less than another.

Had another family been my home, I would show the same excitement and zeal that I exhibit when I proclaim that I am a Kappa Delta. I take my commitment seriously and value the lifetime bonds I have built. I was involved in my community before Kappa Delta and I will remain so after graduation because that is apart of me, Kappa Delta just provides me with more opportunities. Furthermore, because I am loyal to my sisterhood you will never see me throwing what I don't know. History has rendered some organization members from both councils to be ignorant of the other. I have had to explain to my sisters what the NPHC is and I have had family members who are members of an NPHC organization ask if all I do is philanthropy. NPC sororities are more than their monograms and step sing competitions and NPHC sororities are more than their step lines and probates, we build character and improve communities. We are the women that many girls aspire to be. We carry the legacies of our sororities with the lifetime support of our sisterhoods. We are ultimately sisters in Greek Life.

Therefore, I am horrified to hear that something as sacred as sisterhood has been monetized for a moment of fame. It embarrasses me that intelligent and supposedly poised women would allow the defamation of their family's name. The mistakes of other Greek organizations, including fraternities, have already caused many to think we are irresponsible, uncouth, spoiled, shallow, and vapid, among other negative things. We work hard to show our communities that we are an asset and Sorority Sisters damages that perspective. As much as I enjoy pop culture, the negative portrayal of women, African-Americans, or sororities is something I cannot and will not support. I encourage my Greek sisters to fight this disgrace by not viewing the television show. Together we have well over ten thousand collegiate and alumni chapters and together we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment