16 July 2014

Strut Through Life with Donicia Blanton

It’s safe to say that LaGrange College student Donicia Blanton is on fire this year. A Servant Scholar majoring in Biology and Psychology and minoring in Sustainability and Servant Leadership, she is recognized as a role model for her peers, as well as the young girls she mentors through dance at the YMCA. She works hard and stays stylish doing it! Donicia took time out of her busy schedule to sit down with me Sunday afternoon.

Kadeshia: Thank you for dropping by. Finals season is approaching and you’ve been diligently working this year, how do you keep stress down to a minimum?
Donica Blanton: I keep up with a set schedule and plan ahead mostly. You know, making sure I have “me time” in-between stressful events. I watch a lot of YouTube videos of funny cats and use Bath & Body Works® Aromatherapy body lotion after showers. I also start my mornings with a prayer session, a 15-minute stretch, and abs workout.
Kadeshia: Yeah, aromatherapy and starting the morning right are helpful.

Kadeshia: What does fashion mean to you and what inspires your style?
DB: Fashion means self-expression, the ability to wear one's inner self on the outside for everyone to see. I think that's why we have so much variety in fashion, there’s so many different types of people and we all have different personalities. Everyone has something to bring to the table. Besides being an avid Cosmo reader, I think the biggest influence on my style was growing up in a big city where there was a lot going on and diverse people in an urban environment.
Kadeshia: How would you describe your personal style?
DB: Bohemian with an urban twist but always with an added edge. I always try to throw one or two pieces in there to achieve that.


Kadeshia: No matter how busy you are, I've never seen you wear sweats around campus. How do you do it?
DB: I limit myself to what I call two “bum days” a month. But you know, sometimes it doesn't happen. I like clothes, so it’s fun for me to dress up. I don’t own a lot of leisurely clothing. Except dance clothes, but I’m not going to run around in spandex all day.
Kadeshia: I call them bum days too. So, since you're a busy girl and you don't like bumming it too much, how do you keep your closet organized?
DB: I’m usually a neat freak when it comes to organizing my closet. I’m the person who will use 20 different wonder hangers and slim space saver hangers because working in retail for two year allowed me to accumulate clothes. Everything is organized by section, so I have a section for my dresses and then all my shirts are organized by type. I have a hanging shoe rack, a stationary shoe rack, and I keep my jeans folded at the top of my closet. Keeping up with organizing my closet makes searching for an outfit fun without the hassle.


Kadeshia:  What is the best and worst fashion advice you've received?
DB: The best fashion advice I've ever received was that revealing more of your body doesn't mean a cuter outfit. As girls, we go through this phase, especially as teenagers, where we feel the need to reveal more in order to be sexy. But I think that I don’t always have to show more, in fact, I get the most compliments when I wear some of my less-revealing outfits.
Kadeshia: Yeah, definitely keep it balanced. If I’m going to wear shorts, I’m going to be covered up more on the top.
DB: I was shopping with a family member over the summer before my freshman year and I picked up a short mini skirt. She urged me to buy it and I thought it was cute so I did. After keeping it in my drawer for three years, I finally decided to get rid of it. Although some people can pull that look off, I definitely had to learn how to dress for my body type and that wasn't going to work.
Kadeshia: What fashion faux pas have you committed?
DB: I wore white pants after Labor Day. I don’t see the big deal about it but it was winter and I wanted to wear them with an outfit.


Kadeshia: What is some advice you would like to give to the incoming freshmen girls of 2014?
DB: Not to limit themselves. I know that coming into a new place we try so hard to find one group of friends or fun things to do. This school offers so much and I didn't start to learn until later, I wish I had kept myself open to that. Also, when it comes to boyfriends, he can wait. You guys are going to be here for four years and if this guy is really worth it, he can wait for you to at least enjoy some college life.
Kadeshia: I can understand that completely, you want to get the full college experience.
DB: Enjoy it because it goes by quickly and don’t be afraid to explore your options.


Kadeshia: Okay, time for the fun part. What is your least favorite trend right now?
DB: Unnatural neon colored lipstick, like who walks around with neon green lips?
Kadeshia: Finish this sentence: I can never leave ________ without buying something.
DB: I try to be pretty in-control when I go into stores because of my budget but, the nail polish aisle in Wal-Mart.
Kadeshia: I love reading these in interviews, so, what's in your purse?
DB: Trail mix, my keys, Eos® lip balm, Cover Girl® lipstick, L'Oreal® True-Match powder, and my debit cards and ID card. Not a whole lot but I think the trail mix is the weirdest in there.

A Few of Her Favorite Things: 1. PIECES Evanda Lace Oversize Top 2. Jozica Earrings 3. Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balm 4. Pull & Bear High-Waist Denim Shorts 5. Breckelle's Georgia 28 Women's Combat Boots Military Studs 6. Coco Chanel 7. MixedMama Mint and Lilac Water Marble

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12578913/?claim=yg48nvuym7n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment